What training is needed?
The information below is a summary of the main training requirements to deliver this service. For more detailed information please see the Long Acting Reversible Contraception (LARC) service specification.
- All health care professionals (HCPs) undertaking contraceptive fitting services need to have completed the Faculty of Sexual and Reproductive Health (FSRH) accredited Online Theory Assessment (OTA) or hold a sexual health diploma.
- HCPs are also required to confirm that they have read the 6 principles of care outlined in the Guidance for those undertaking or recertifying FSRH qualifications whose personal beliefs conflict with the provision of abortion or any method of contraception - Faculty of Sexual and Reproductive Healthcare. The HCP should agree to abide by these principles in practice at the time of application for the FSRH qualification.
- Coil fitters are required to complete the Letter of Competence Intrauterine Techniques (LoC IUT).
- Implant fitters are required to complete the Letter of Competence Subdermal Contraceptive Implants Techniques Insertion and Removal (LoC SDI-IR).
- The provider should ensure all HCPs holding a LoC for coils or implants are recertified every 5 years, as specified by the FSRH.
- The HCP must be familiar with, and adhere to, the FSRH recertification requirements to ensure they have developed and maintained the knowledge, skills, attitude and behaviour needed to provide safe and effective sexual and reproductive health care.
How to access LARC training
- Training can be accessed via the Faculty of Sexual Reproductive Health (FRSH) website.
- For coils, HCPs may be able to access support and training for the practical element (LoC IUT) via Bayer. Please contact email@example.com for more information.
- For implants, HCPs may be able to access funding and training for the practical element (LoC SDI-IR) via Organon. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
How do providers submit a claim?
- Providers using SystmOne are required to submit activity data using the Public Health Dorset SystmOne template found on SystmOne - this is not provided by Public Health Dorset. Find out how to do this in the step-by-step guide.
- Providers are also required to download and complete the LARC Excel Reporting Template 2022-23.