Keeping the air clean and healthy in your home

Good conditions in our homes can protect us from illnesses and injury.

Damp and mould

Damp and mould are caused by high levels of water in the air in your home, called humidity. A certain amount of humidity in your home is good, but too much can damage your home and harm your health.

Damp and mould in your home can contribute to respiratory problems, infections, allergies, or asthma. It can also affect the immune system, especially if you have a long-term health condition. Read more on how damp and mould can affect your health.

In the colder months, it’s understandable to want to keep the warmth inside and the cold out. Letting fresh air in during the colder months – even for a short period of time – can help keep condensation and mould at bay. This can also reduce the risk of bugs and viruses circulating in your home.

For advice and tips on how to prevent condensation, mould and damp in your home, Ridgewater Energy has a handy booklet you can download.

Fixing problems in your home

If you rent your home, you should report issues to your landlord or housing provider. If your landlord is not fixing your broken heating or other problems in your home, you can report this to your local housing standards team:

Keeping your home warm

Living in a cold home can be bad for your health, especially if you have medical conditions or are older. To stay warm and well and prevent damp and mould, try to heat the rooms you spend most of your time in, to a temperature that is comfortable for you, and at least 18°C.

Home improvements can make your home more energy efficient, keeping you and your loved ones safe, warm and well and making it cheaper to heat in the long term.

In Dorset, there are services you can contact for free, impartial energy advice. You may also qualify for a free home visit or a grant to make your heating better:
Help with the cost of living

To see what cost of living help is available in your area, click on your council’s website below. If you need practical advice and support on cost of living, you can also contact your local Citizens Advice branch for free, independent, and confidential advice and information: