Key documents for service delivery
- smoking cessation service specification 2019
- smoking cessation – service description and pathways
- varenicline PGD January 2019
Smoking cessation reporting to Public Health Dorset
- providers using SystmOne and EMIS are required to download and complete the smoking cessation Excel reporting template 2019-20 (click on the link and select “Save” followed by “Open” when prompted)
- providers using PharmOutcomes or Outcomes4Health should use the relevant smoking cessation templates within these systems as outlined in the service specification
Ordering smoking cessation equipment
CO monitoring machines and mouth pieces can be ordered from these companies:
MD Diagnostics Ltd:
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- phone: 01622 682686
- email: email@example.com
- phone: 01622 851122
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- phone: 0800 028 2194 or 01732 522 444
Smoking cessation training requirements
There is no requirement for providers to attend face to face training to deliver this service.
The information below is a summary of the main training requirements. For more detailed information please see the smoking cessation service specification.
- all staff providing the smoking cessation service must have successfully completed the online National Centre for Smoking Cessation Training’s (NCSCT) Practitioner Training and Assessment Programme
- upon completion of the training, staff will be certified Stop Smoking Practitioners
- staff may choose to complete additional NCSCT modules to support delivery of this service, including:
From a training perspective, all clinical staff providing treatment under the current pharmacy PGD must:
Complete the online NHS Centre for Smoking Cessation and Training (NCSCT) training and assessment.
- complete the varenicline PGD training Powerpoint workbook
- complete the varenicline PGD training workbook questionnaire and its declaration
- be able to demonstrate competency in line with the NICE Good Practice Guidance: Patient group directions: competency framework for health professionals using patient group directions
NCSCT can be contacted by telephone on: 01305 755 828 and email: email@example.com
Pharmacy assistants, or staff in equivalent roles, can undertake smoking cessation training relevant to their role on the NCSCT website training pages.
- 12 week Smoking Status form
- Fraser Competencies Guidance and Form – Smoking Cessation
- ASH – Action on Health and Smoking
- British Medical Association – E-cigarettes guidance for GPs
- NCSCT - electronic cigarettes: a briefing for stop smoking services
- Public Health England – E-cigarettes and vaping: policy, regulation and guidance
Chris Ricketts from Public Health Dorset talks about the use of e-cigarettes
This form is to report content that is wrong, or any issues or feedback you have about the web page.
Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.
All fields are required.
Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.
This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.
An error has occurred. Please check the form details and try again.